Friday 17 February 2012

My Film Magazine Cover

After my magazine cover research, I started to brainstorm ideas how to make my magazine cover. I wanted in the end to make a magazine dedicated to one type of genre. So I decided to make a horror film magazine. From the research I had many ideas on how to construct a magazine cover. The software I used to make the magazine cover was Photoshop. I used this software on my Mac home computer. I did at first have to fiddle with the layers and the gradient colour filter before I actually started, as I had got a lot of practice using Photoshop when I constructed my poster the magazine cover was easy. Below you can see a picture of the magazine cover in progress.




While making the film magazine I wanted to add a few more USP's to make it stand out more and draw the most attention. I did this by going onto a royalty free website called Deviant Art from here I filtered out some horror images and chose a few to include on the magazine cover. 

It didn’t take me long to have a magazine film title because I just played with the words ‘Fangoria’ and made ‘Gore-Mania’. I used blood red and black as my colour scheme, this is common to the horror genre convention. I liked the idea of using a section of film strip containing picture stills of other possible articles. This film strip convention is not only common to Fangoria but I've also seen it used by the more mainstream magazines such as Empire and Total Film. Another USP I included was that of the free poster, also common to many popular film magazines. 

I included a bar code for added realism and placed the issue date and price on the top left hand corner. This is unusual, most magazines place the price near the bar code and the issue date on the top right, usually below right of the title. Under the title I included a humorous strapline "You'll need your Mummy, reading this magazine...", using the "play on words" double meaning of "mummy" in the context of the horror specialty of the magazine. 

I exploited the rule of space convention and avoided any text above the horizon leaving a large vacant space in the middle of the magazine cover. I also used another USP in the form of an exclusive behind the scenes look at the featured film with the features listed justified to the right in bold yellow text. In addition I added another USP calling the magazine a "special edition". Aside from the title of the featured film which used the same font as the promotional poster, all other text on the cover used the same font as the magazine title text except the date, price and edition text which used another font.

Below you can see the finished product.


No comments:

Post a Comment