Wednesday 28 March 2012

Evaluation Question 1

  1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? 
The title of the film was prepared in Photoshop using a font and colour scheme that adheres to the conventions of the horror genre. I chose a forest scene with a large full moon in the background, both are identified with the horror genre. I decided to put the title at the end, which is usual in a lot of teaser trailers, I wanted the title to stick in peoples minds and revealed it a spine tingling non-diagetic sound, this also conventional with the horror genre. In addition I chose a forest setting as this gave a spooky and menacing feeling, which is the type of feeling I was going for. The font of the title is "cracked", this denotes a chilling broken or damaged theme, as it is menacing, which is the feeling I want to give to the audience about my film. The positioning of the title in the teaser trailer, the font and the setting are all quite typical of and in keeping with horror teaser trailers. I used spooky white writing over a black background which is also typical of the horror genre. I used red for the background and title font as this also gives connotations of blood and gore.

The setting and location is shown early on in the teaser, this is the norm for horror teaser trailers. It is important the audience know from the start that my film is set in wood, after all it's in the title. This follows the convention of other teaser trailers such as "Friday the 13th" where the setting is made apparent at the beginning and it is obviously a campsite. The costume and props in my trailer were very typical of a teen film. I chose clothes that were as stereotypical as possible, especially with the "hoody youth". 

Camerawork and editing is also typical of a horror trailer, I used jump cuts in rapid succession, sequences running with the camera low to the ground to accentuate speed. I also tried one shot in monochrome to add more atmosphere. I tried to make my trailer as typical as possible, again so that it is obvious from the very beginning it was a horror film. Overall, my narrative and characters representation is very typical of a teen slasher horror. The sound track I used was a royalty free sinister horror themed one, this helped greatly with the atmosphere of dread in the trailer.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment